Effective social investment begins with early engagement of all relevant stakeholders during project inception. This requires personnel with the technical qualifications, understanding and appropriateness to access stakeholder groups whose levels of involvement and understanding of the subject matter may vary considerably. Only if time is taken and relevant expertise deployed in carrying out detailed and informed social impact assessments (SIAs) and programme scoping work can the right social performance solutions be selected for the context and problems faced.
Montrose offers high quality programme scoping services, carried out by technical experts who know the territory, people and cultures they are assessing – not remotely based generalists who fly in and out. By combining international health, education, livelihoods, supply chain and resettlement experience with local expertise and institutional knowledge, Montrose achieves deep understanding and clear focus on relevant community development, conflict and sustainability factors, ensuring industries can engage in the most efficient ways with lowest risk exposure.
Our initial assessment and programme scoping services include formal and informal methods and products:
- Social impact assessments (SIAs), as stand-alone pieces, or as part of wider Environmental and Social Impact Assessments (ESIAs), required by most countries under production sharing contracts, mining lease application procedures and other investment laws.
- Public service provision assessments covering a number of sectors including existing health care and education provision and quality assessments in rural developing country settings.
- Disease burden, literacy, value chain and other assessments of local development indicators in affected population areas, including vector-borne diseases, maternal and child health indicators, education levels, local supply chain and value chain analysis, and vocational skills assessments.
- Community consultation exercises.
- Scoping assessments of specific areas that clients wish to focus on as future social performance programming, gaps analysis to identify areas of greatest added value, and recommendations on best areas to invest for highest social and corporate return.