Grievance Mechanism Management
Project Title: Community Liaison Officer (CLO) Support Location: Myanmar Client: Private sector company Date: Two contracts, October 2015 – July 2016; January – April 2017
Montrose was contracted to provide Community Liaison Officer (CLO) support for our client’s 2015-2016 and 2016-2017 dry season offshore oil and gas exploration activities in Rakhine State, Myanmar.
Montrose was approached to provide Community Liaison Officer (CLO) support to establish and maintain an effective working relationship between local government, the fishing community, and the company in Rakhine State, Myanmar. The aim of the work was to notify community stakeholders of the details of the company’s exploration activities, ensure good local understanding and lack of negative impacts, and to operate a grievance mechanism through which community stakeholders could raise any questions or concerns to the company.
Montrose identified suitable candidates for the CLO positions – local Rakhine people with strong networks in local government and civil society, and significant expertise in maintaining community relations and communicating effectively with all stakeholders.
The role and responsibilities of the CLOs included:
- Providing CLO support for all offshore seismic exploration activities undertaken by the client.
- Preparing and disseminating communication materials on the survey activities as part of pre-commencement communications.
- Supporting the client with consultation activities relating to the exploration activities being undertaken, including pre-commencement meetings with relevant third parties in townships and villages.
- Being contactable 24/7 by telephone by fishermen, regional agencies and members of the public.
- Communicating without delay all enquiries, feedback and/or grievances to the client.
- Supporting the client in communicating with the originator of the enquiry, feedback and/or grievance in a timely manner until the matter is closed out.
- Collating and analysing the grievance or feedback data, and submitting reports and grievance records to the client.