Adapting teaching and learning interventions
Project Title: Room to Learn (RtL) South Sudan Location: South Sudan Client: USAID / Winrock International Date: January 2016 – September 2016
Montrose has been contracted to adapt an Early Grade Reading Assessment (EGRA) into South Sudan National Languages and develop teaching and learning materials for Room to Learn (RTL) South Sudan.
Room to Learn (RTL) South Sudan is a five year USAID-funded project designed to expand education opportunities that are inclusive and promote social cohesion in South Sudan. Montrose has been contracted by USAID to adapt an English Early Grade Reading Assessment (EGRA) into Toposa and Bari South Sudan national languages as well as develop teaching and learning materials. This will enable South Sudan to have uniform tools for use to measure literacy competencies among students in lower primary classes in South Sudan.
Montrose’s international expertise will be used to adapt and implement the English Language EGRA tool for the Toposa and Bari South Sudan National Languages.
Montrose will be responsible for the following:
- Conducting a workshop during which a work group comprised of Toposa and Bari local language experts, identified by the Ministry of Education, Science, and Technology (MoEST) National Languages Department, will adapt an existing English Language EGRA tool into Toposa and Bari National Languages; and developing implementation protocols.
- Training EGRA assessors to administer the adapted Toposa and Bari EGRA tools.
- Leading the piloting and reviewing of the adapted Toposa and Bari EGRA tools; the EGRA teacher observation tools; and EGRA protocols.
- Leading an EGRA exercise in primary class 3 in the RTL Toposa and Bari speaking target counties.
- Formulating literacy standards and benchmarks for Toposa and Bari languages (primary classes 1 – 3).
- Producing a report on findings, including recommendations on how to improve teaching and learning; and increase literacy outcomes among Toposa and Bari speaking lower primary students in classes 1 to 3.