Social performance is core to business, but running development programmes is not most industries’ core business itself. Whereas at Montrose, we are social investment programme management specialists. Montrose therefore uniquely offers clients the option of sub-contracting management of social performance programmes to us – a company with a deep appreciation of the programme scoping and design process, wide contextual knowledge of likely operating environments, and with shared private sector ethos of efficiency, responsiveness and the need to add value. We therefore ensure that, as is the case with other types of investment, social investment brings in the highest possible rates of return – in this case in reputational, social licence, risk reduction and profit terms.
Our project management services include:
- Management and technical personnel sourcing and project staffing – with emphasis on a combination of high technical quality, language ability and local knowledge.
- Service delivery, including, but not limited to, primary health care, disease control programmes, public health campaigns, sanitation programmes, school construction, teacher training, education materials development, scholarship programmes, essential skills training, livelihoods and SME development.
- In-house project monitoring, performance tracking and financial management expertise, ensuring delivery on time and on budget.
- Management of sub-grant portfolios to local organisations and beneficiary groups, combining tight financial controls with capacity support and appropriate systems.
- Programme governance, government liaison and community engagement for multi-stakeholder input and constant improvement.
We manage several large-scale social investment programmes for leading oil and gas companies in some of Africa’s most challenging contexts, and have implemented other shorter programmes for mining clients in Asia-Pacific – all of which we worked on the scoping and design of too. Our clients in these programmes have therefore benefitted from the added value of our long-term contextual knowledge of these settings and institutional knowledge of their social impact and corporate goals. Unlike many other social performance advisory consultancies, Montrose offers all clients this ‘one stop shop’ option through our ability to implement the programmes we assess, research and design on our clients’ behalf.