Effective environmental management and adherence to the regulatory landscape is essential to minimising risk. Integrating environmentally and financially viable practices into a firm’s operations and supply chains not only minimises environmental and social impact but also reduces waste, thereby improving profits and outsider perceptions.
Through our specialist division, Montrose Environmental, we work with our diverse client base throughout Africa and Asia to facilitate sustainable business whilst enhancing local, regional and global environmental and social integrity.
Our principal services for our partners and clients include:
- Environmental and social impact assessment (ESIAs) to in-country, legal requirements and international standards (e.g. Equator Principles and International Finance Corporation Performance Standards)
- Environmental audits and reviews (for potential investors, to determine compliance with regulatory / legal requirements and for in-house purposes)
- Due diligence - capital investment environmental assurance
- Environmental and social management plans (construction, operation, decommissioning/closure)
- Environmental and social project management capabilities (at senior level)
- Monitoring plans
- Environmental risk assessments
- Environmental management system development, implementation and maintenance
- High Conservation Value (HCV) assessments, audits and management plans
- Wildlife management
- Biodiversity assessments (fauna and flora)
- Ecosystem services assessments
Our experience in this sector includes:
- Mining - including inter alia coal, gold, iron ore, platinum, rare earths, phosphate, copper and cobalt, silver, heavy minerals (coastal dunes and inland), diamond, chrome, zinc, tin, hardrock and sand.
- Oil and Gas - including gas-to-liquids synthetic fuel facilities, liquefied natural gas (LNG), underground gas storage facilities (e.g., worked out salt mines), pipelines, bulk storage terminals, full field development of land-based crude oil extraction facilities, and decommissioning (large-scale projects and petrol service stations).
- Energy – including hydro-electric, wind-power, solar power, and heavy fuel.
- Infrastructure - linear projects, including highways, railways, power-lines (independent power producers, project power supplies and national), and water supply pipelines.
- Waste management – landfill sites and waste management systems.
- Industry and Manufacturing - gas manufacturing, smelters (copper and aluminium), metal rolling mills, aluminium processing plants, metal manufacturing plants (alloys and manganese), ammonia products.
- Agribusiness – large-scale projects including oil palm, rubber, timber, forestry, and sugar cane.
- Hospitality - holiday resorts, hotels, eco-tourism, and safari lodges.
- Environmental training